With most of the newer modern semi-automatic pistols the slide locks to the rear when the fun is over, the gun runs empty, and there are no more rounds in the magazine or chamber. Tactically, if this happens the ultimate goal is to get the gun back fully-loaded and ready to rock and roll as quickly as possible. At PSA, our instructors teach what is known as a “Slide-lock Reload.”
- Ensure that your trigger finger is off of, and remains off the trigger. This will prevent any accidental discharges.
- At this time shooters should activate the magazine release button allowing the spent magazine to drop. Simultaneously, shooters should be using their economy of motion to index and grab a fresh magazine. Shooters should be sure to not grab the magazine with the fingertips. Instead shooters should make sure that the meaty portion of the palm comes into contact with the base plate of the magazine and the index finger should rest along the front strap of the magazine. This will allow proper grip and will bode well when trying to speedily insert the new magazine.
- Bring the pistol into the work-space slightly tilted so that the mag well is clearly in peripheral sight and insert a fresh and fully loaded magazine.
- If your sight was taken off target and placed onto the magazine well, now is the time to shift your eyes back towards the target.
- Rotate the pistol back into the firing position and present the pistol back to target and prepare for your shot.
Check out PSA’s Training Tips Video!!!
*** If you are unfamiliar with firearms and/or their accessories, and want to learn more, PSA strongly suggests that you find, enroll, and attend a comprehensive and reputable firearms safety course. Firearms safety is all of OUR responsibility.
We want to thank you for taking out the time to stop by our lane at the shooting range!! We hope that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you stop back by early and often to catch up on all PSA updates! We truly hope that we were able to hit the target, and if you ever have any questions please don’t hesitate to shoot them our way!! We look forward to shooting the breeze with you soon again!!
And as always….remember to watch your six and stay low!!!